Tuesday 10 August 2010

Do not go gently


Oh look, a big gap in my blog again.

Reflective of busy times - for both work and leisure.

This picture was from the highlight of the last couple of months - a holiday in Norfolk with a friend, S.

It was one of the many, many new things I have experienced of late...I feel a list coming on (and in case you were wondering, there's no significance to the order of these things)



1. North Norfolk coast as holiday destination. Fantastic: great light a lot of the time; relatively quiet; and in good company even a 10km walk in the rain is fun.

2. Beer festival on a railway station. Ours was in Sheringham. There are others around the country - including Minehead, I believe. If you like beer and don't hate trains then do it.

3. Adobe InDesign. I don't really like giving a company that has caused me so much grief in the past the air of publicity but I have to say InDesign is a nifty piece of software. Shhh...don't tell them I said that. However, their policy of making you pay more for downloading rather than getting a DVD of the software sucks big-time.

4. Kent and the Medway. A meeting for our company saw TD and I hacking our way east to visit the area around Maidstone. I'm still trying not to take the 4am hotel fire alarm, and the roundabout that employs at least three extra space-time dimensions to confuse the unwitting traveller too personally. Actually, I think I could like the county - I hope we get some work there to ensure we have to go back.

5. Marsh samphire. The trendy foodstuff du jour. Looks unprepossessing, tastes rather nice.

6. s215 of the Town and County Planning Act (1990). Could be useful in our work, if we can get local authorities to use it.

7. The Ting Tings and The Go! Team. Music that I'm surprised I like - but I do.

8. Andy Serkis as Ian Dury in Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll. Utterly convincing.

9. Cribbage. This isn't actually new to me, having learned it as a kid and I remembered loving it. TD re-taught me over a couple of beers on our Kent trip. Best card game for two players.

10. Thornbridge Jaipur IPA. I've only had one pint of this but I've been trying to track it down on draught since. Stupidly strong but doesn't taste like it is. Falling-over water of the most lovely kind.

More new things in forthcoming months, please...



.

4 comments:

  1. did you Pick Your Own samphire? Enquiring minds need to know

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, enquiring mind - the longer version of the one sentence above was that all around the villages there were little stands selling it for about £1.50 a bag.
    S turned nose up in a fairly disapproving fashion because it's ubiquitous in poncey cooking (or something).
    Then, when walking around the marshes we saw it growing and picked a tiny piece which S ate raw. And rather liked.
    Then for dinner in the posher of the two pubs in the village he had it as part of a meal and declared it very nice.
    If I now saw a significant amount growing (the patches we saw were quite small and short) then I'd probably pick some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Portishead, then, with you!

    We used to pick it on the salt marshes of Lancashire and pickle it, so that it tasted of vinegar, which is how peasants like it. Moi, I blanch it and bung in butter and black pepper, parce que maintenant je suis une poncy cookeuse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love InDesign. So far I've only used it at work so I've not had to pay for it but I've seriously considered getting my own copy. Also I like the sound of Dru's poncy samphire recipe. Tasty tasty.

    ReplyDelete