Monday 25 May 2009

The times they are a-changing


I'm in the second week of my two-site holiday.

Last week I visited brother-outlaw in Glasgow to catch up, take photos, see films and stuff like that. I also took the opportunity to meet up with another friend who lives not exactly nearby but just about within striking distance.

This week I'm with some members of my not-quite-immediate family on our traditional week "with the kids". The kids in question are 17 and 14 and holidays have changed quite a lot over the years.

Once upon a time, idiot-boy and I would holiday on narrowboats in the middle of nowhere and delight in the fact we were far away from other people. In the early days we didn't even have a mobile phone and the internet was just a twinkle in the eye of Tim Berners-Lee.

These days I place a premium on being able to stay in touch with people even when I'm on holiday. So I arranged mobile broadband before I came away and was delighted to learn that the house we're staying in has wi-fi.

As a result, rather than sitting and reading a book when it's raining (like it is today) I'm reading and writing emails to people in Inverness, the Highlands and back in Bristol. I'm also checking out pictures on Flickr and seeing what people are saying on Twitter.

Why?

Actually, I'm not sure.

Once upon a time, if there was just the boy and me, we wouldn't chat much. We'd probably sit largely in silence reading books but enjoying the comfortable companionship that comes with many years together. I don't have that now.

It's possible I'm filling that gap with the "louder" companionship of email and other electronic forms of communication or it could be I've changed how I choose to behave and now need constant feedback from other people to reassure me of something.

I honestly don't know.

So why bother to go to the time, trouble and expense of a holiday in Cornwall and then do similar things to the things I do at home?

Because it's nice to have a change of scenery and new things to photograph. The family I'm holidaying with are excellent company, even if we don't always enjoy doing the same things.

Later we'll probably all play cards and it'll get silly and riotous. The children are growing up so they no longer need constant attention but they enjoy the odd group activity.

Times change and I guess I need to get used to the fact that we all need to adapt as life moves on.

So I'll carry on my conversations with friends and a bit later, even if the weather doesn't clear up, I'll put on my coat and take my weather resistant camera out and enjoy the view of the sea.


.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting. I took my netbook on holiday for the first time and I liked the fact that I could keep up with the twitterings. Which is odd given that I steadfastly ignore TV, news and papers when I'm on holiday.
    So in my case I think it is that I'm changing and adapting to the new "connected" world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some parallels, some differences.
    Strange new world, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 16! They're 16 and 14! Otherwise I could drive. But I'm honoured that we are "excellent company" :) I also feel famous at being mentioned on t'internet. To be honest, instead of attention I should have revised more! Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed our holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Hannah. Just as well I didn't say anything rude about you, eh?
    You're nearer 17 than 16...
    Hope you enjoyed the holiday too...and that the revision you did do was rewarded :-)

    See you soon

    ReplyDelete