Saturday 9 May 2009

The View from Here


After taking him to my favourite cafe I force CJ to admire the Clifton Suspension Bridge. I've told him it's the law.

Neither of us have cameras with us but we have a brief discussion about what photographs we might take.

For him the picture was of the wire fencing at the side of the walkway.

That had attractions for me too but then I remembered this picture which was one of the first ones I took when took up photography as a way to get a renewed interest in things outside.

It's the first picture I took that really matched up to what I was seeing when I looked through the viewfinder. It was the picture I was making.

I look at it now and I can criticise the flat light and that it was taken with a fairly soft lens but I have to smile at the feeling it evoked when I saw it the first time.

It was a definite feeling of "oh, I can do this".

Yesterday was a day chatting about photography in its philosophical sense, in the technical sense, about economics, bad science, poor understanding of number, of travel, culture, of pasts, and of plans.

Such days are good days.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment