Monday 8 March 2010

Inappropriate Laughter


So...we're having a conversation over a Lego limo, a couple of pints and some nice food.

There were some comments about the photographic possibilities of said limo...and let's just say some people would have found our conversation in somewhat poor taste.

I am at one with the friends I'm giggling with...even though part of me knows it's all a bit naughty, really.

On Saturday I meet up with a pal in Birmingham - that's his leg you can see in the picture - he falls into the category of people I've labelled as "Felt like an old friend from the moment we met"...I'm hoping for a nattier title but that pretty much encapsulates it.

There are quite a few people in this group and I simply love spending time with them. Whether it's drinking coffee or beer, eating a burger or gathered round my dining table over a big pot of "slop". Time flies, silences are not awkward laughs are many and, most crucially, the humour is dark but not cruel.

On Saturday I agree with my pal that life cannot be taken seriously. Other people's lives ought to be - so designing a roller-coaster cannot be done in haphazard fashion - but life in general...largely ludicrous.
I like conversations like this - it reassures me that my snap decision to put my friend in "The Category" was a sound one.

On Sunday I spend part of the day with another friend and her daughter walking in the sunshine, playing in the park whilst dad did other stuff back at my house. I've not known L for very long either - in fact I've met her precisely three times and yet, the few hours we spend together are relaxed, comfortable and fun (for me, at any rate...and I do hope she had fun too).

Later that day I meet up with M for a walk, some photos and a drink. We discuss tragic stories, political correctness, social exclusion on the grounds of colour or sexual orientation and all the time giggle like naughty school kids. We are comfortable in our giggling.

I had the most lovely weekend - with people of whom I'm immensely fond - none of whom I've known for more than a relatively short time.

So - what about the people who don't get labelled like this?

Hmmmm... there are a whole load of people who I'm happy to spend a bit of time with but whose company I don't necessarily desperately crave. This is quite a big group of nice, decent OK kinda people.

But I have to admit there are just a very few (that is, probably less than 10) people I've ever met who I've pretty much hated on sight...or shortly after. I'm not proud of this but, even when I've tried to overcome my apparent irrational dislike and made a bit more effort, my feelings have only been reinforced. I have no doubt that the feeling are largely mutual.

Once, someone asked me why I had made such a snap decision to dislike someone...to be honest, it's because it saves time.

Life is short. Life is ludicrous. I want to spend more of my time with the people who I can label FLAOFFTMWM and less that would be labelled considerably less charitably.



.

1 comment: