Thursday 18 June 2009

Slippery Slope






























A little while back I decided to try and play with some black and white film.

It was following a conversation that started innocently enough with a question "have you ever used a rangefinder?".

We went on to discuss the nature of film vs digi.

The question asker gently encouraged me when I suggested that I might try film in a familiar format (SLR) before I looked at other types of camera.

I have other filmy friends and they continued the encouragement. Told me I'd love it.

It would appear they're not 100% wrong.

There's something about the range of tones in B&W film that's intoxicating.

Even though this picture has been scanned which will probably have reduced some of the subtleties, the light in the sky would have been wholly blown out to whiteness by my D300 - even though the D300 has a better dynamic range than most DSLRs.

There are disadvantages, however: cost, time, lack of immediate feedback. These will dictate against it being my exclusive type of photography...but I can see me using it more, and more.

So...the next question is, do I try and source a rangefinder?


.

No comments:

Post a Comment