Sunday 2 August 2009

Simplicity itself


Once again I was amazed at how simple some pleasures are.

Twice in as many days, I've had a guest for a meal.

My ma is a firm believer in letting guests relax whilst she buzzes around the kitchen getting stressed.

Often I follow suit, but on Friday, when the meal preparation was a bit of a rush job, I accepted TD's "Shall I chop the avocado" offer, with gratititude.

We spent the next ten minutes or so nattering happily enough over shared food preparation. I relaxed, TD seemed relaxed...and there was food to eat at the end of it.

Then yesterday DrP - who stayed with me for a few weeks earlier in the year so knows his way around my kitchen pretty much as well as I do - in almost unspoken agreement looked after the quesadillas whilst I made a cuppa.

I realised that this is the thing I probably miss most about living alone. Comfortable co-existence whilst doing mundane, shared tasks.

A highly underrated pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment