Sunday 30 August 2009

Anonymity breeds contempt


I follow my friend Dru's blog. She has a wicked way with words and an understated sense of humour.

This post has had me thinking for a while now.

The controversy over the gender testing of Caster Semevna has bothered me a fair bit but I knew little about the biology involved until it prompted me to do some reading.

Far from being just a matter of some chromosones, a bit of anatomy and some brain function, it seems that not only is gender medically complicated but is also fairly plastic in terms of psychology.

In fact - it seems almost as though imposing just two genders on the human race is almost arbitrary. Yes, yes, I know you're saying that the two genders are really about procreation but life's more complicated than that these days.

Or is it?

I have several friends that my father who, lovely though he was in many ways, would have struggled with if discussed in the abstract. However, had my dad met my friends he would have liked them.

So how is this related to an athlete whose gender is being questioned?

Well, as TD said with a tone of exasperation and anger, laced with compassion.

"She's a person".

...and that's the most important thing of all.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment