Wednesday 2 September 2009

In praise of the humble shop

My builder wasn't too comfortable buying some of the fittings and finishes I want for the utility/loo.

So it was agreed (ie I was left with no option) that I would buy them.

Armed with TD's helpfully detailed specs I set about making what I assumed would be a series of simple purchases of a sink, a loo, some taps and a radiator online.

I was thwarted at every stage. Did the loo come with a frame or a mounting bracket? What about the cistern...and the "button". Who knew? The websites certainly didn't help any.

The sink, I couldn't find on line at all.

I became disheartened and sought advice from TD.

He wasn't sure either but agreed to meet me in a "shop" that sells bathroom stuff, not far from he is working.

We rolled in more or less on spec and immediately were greeted by a friendly chap called Steve. We introduced ourselves and started explaining my needs for sanitaryware.

At every turn Steve was helpful, knowledgeable and willing to phone the manufacturers for further advice. At no point did he try the hard sell. He was happy enough to give me prices and for me to go and think about it.

He carefully laid out price options and at no point even tried to force me down the "expensive" route.

After the prices were written down I just said - 'yeah, go for it' or something similar.

I'd only gone in to source the sink and maybe the WC but I was so impressed I suggested we check out the taps. Sure enough, they had those too.

Then as the finale I muttered to TD that that just left the radiator for which I'd have to go to Bath. Steve immediately apologised for being forward and asked what radiator I wanted (me saying Bath was a pretty big cue for a particular brand of radiator). When I told him he said "Yes, we do those too". Job done.

OK it took an hour and I probably owe TD more than the takeout coffee we were left with getting before going back to our respective day jobs but I have to say the whole experience was a salutory lesson in customer care.

The guy clearly gave a damn. He knew his subject and seemed genuinely interested in finding me what I needed.

For the prices I knew, it wasn't the cheapest option...neither was it the most expensive. However, I see the slight premium as a small price to pay for the service...indeed the excellent service.

TD's not a man to praise lightly and even he was impressed.

In our defence, we did provide the guy with a little entertainment as we stretched the normal boundaries of professional practitioner and client as we bickered and TD criticised my skill with a tape measure (I still don't know what's wrong with cm as a unit of measurement). Steve wasn't to know we're pals who regularly bicker on a non-architectural basis.

What Steve also doesn't realise is that when I do the bathroom (some time next year, I'm hoping) that they'll probably be my first port-of-call rather than the refuge of a desperate woman.

A good day for proper retail.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment