Sunday 27 September 2009

Look out below!


A while back I blogged about the urge to quit my job.

Things have moved on a-pace in the last nine months.

I've got interested in new things. I've met yet more new people. The shift in working environment has continued.


So a little over a week ago I told my boss I'd be leaving.

Date yet to be decided but most likely by the end of the year.

Do I have a cunning plan?

No, not really.

The maths has been done and I can get by for about a year without earning any money. Obviously there won't be much in the budget for dream-holidays to far flung places, or to buy new cameras but I've thought, and re-thought through all the possible consequences of me leaving a steady job...and, more importantly, the likely consequences of me continuing where I am.

The latter consequences are far less pleasant to contemplate than the former.

If I were sensible I'd probably get something sorted before quitting - in fact someone has already suggested this as being a more appropriate way to approach the issue. However, I know me...and that means I'd never quite find the time to do it and that would leave me getting more and more disatisfied with the situation.

I've a few ideas, a willingness to do contracting, an iStock account that generates a very small amount of cash but could doubtless be tapped for some more, given a little effort on my part, and a naiscent plan with a friend that could be something we could both be proud of.

I'm not expecting to earn anything for a good few months - indeed January will most likely see me sorting out things that have been on my to do list for a number of months.

In a year's time I may have to go and get a conventional job again but even if I fail to pull the "alternative" off, it'll be good to know I tried.

Meanwhile if you know anyone who wants a meeting facilitating or a project managed...I do know someone who'll be becoming available soon.

Watch this space.



.

5 comments:

  1. How very exciting!
    I especially hope you're able to get somewhere with that long-standing plan - I do think that would be wonderful.

    It's a brave step and I hope it's a good one. I think it's one of those things that you can only determine whether it's a good idea by doing it. And I'm a believer in it being worse to think: "I wonder if I should've done that" rather than "I shouldn't've done that!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. @tumulus:
    Yeah...I think it'll be a good step whether or not I manage to pull off the current plans.
    I think I've left the requisite "don't do anything hasty" period and now's the time to put my money where my mouth is.
    Gulp!
    @AndyBee: I've not actually left yet but it's gone from "If" to "When", that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a 15 year old "project" you might be interested in....????

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mocha: The project would be more than welcome to visit...the chimneys need sweeping.

    ReplyDelete