Thursday 9 July 2009

I can see the slippery slope from here...


This all started a few months ago. Innocently enough.

A discussion between two photographers.

Of course I'd heard of rangefinder cameras but I didn't have a clear idea of why they were different to SLR cameras like mine.

Then there was the film vs digi debate. I've mentioned this before.

I wanted to give film (specifically B&W film) a go but was concerned at changing technology at the same time as medium. So, I got my film fix by using a borrowed Nikon SLR camera.

I liked. I liked very much.

I wouldn't change my primary medium from digital. It's not just the convenience, but the cost too. I act as a voluntary photographer quite a bit and the speed of turnaround that requires, together with the cost of film and processing means digital is simply the pragmatic choice.

So, film good.

I explained to the film-shooting friend that the reason I didn't really need a really expensive new lens for my dSLR was that what my photography lacked more than technical lens quality was good, strong composition.

"Ah..." says the wise one. "You'll be needing to try a rangefinder."

He pointed me in the direction of The Online Photographer and, in a partcular article, the idea of Leica as Teacher.

He tried to explain to me what it feels like (looks like?) to look through a rangefinder (such as a Leica M series) viewfinder.

Coincidentally, one of the Bath Group Flickr folk brought his film Leica with him to the June meet. He kindly allowed me to take a peep. Sigh.

So, in a trip to visit the rangefinder user in the highlands I am offered a try of a digital rangefinder camera with a view to maybe buying a second hand one for film if I get on OK with it.

The good news is, I loved using the camera.
The bad news is, I loved using the camera.

The nature of the viewfinder is such that you can see around the frame of the picture you're taking. This allows you to see the potential around the frame you're looking at.

Also, because you're not looking through the lens (and SLR lenses are wide open until you press the shutter or DoF preview) you get a more-stuff-in-focus view which should help you notice glaring intrusions into your shot ('should' being the operative word in my case).

It's not a style of camera that lends itself to macro shots but for "street" photography, landscape, and event type photography, it has distinct advantages.

Having looked at the picture quality from this camera I've found myself considering the digital rangefinder possiblities.

Actually, there aren't all that many possibilities. The market is not awash with digital RF cameras like it is with SLRs.

It needs some more thought. A bit of risk assessment. Some budgeting considerations.

But I can definitely see the top of the slippery slope...look...it's just over there.

2 comments:

  1. I have an Epson R-D1s and I love it. Its a good place to start if you don't want the expense of a film or digital Leica. My favorite lens is the Zeiss 35mm F/2. I go to lots of clubs for music so I often use a Voigtlander 35 F/1.2. You should check out www.rangefinderforum.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey James, thanks for dropping by....and leaving useful information in your wake :-)

    The borrowed-Leica-owner also mentioned the Epson camera. Definitely worth checking out.

    I'm not quite there in the decision making process - I'm quite the SLR girl - but that M8 definitely turned my head.

    ReplyDelete