Saturday 31 January 2009

Analogous

DSC_4725 No Hassel

Back in the day I had a Pentax K1000 manual SLR camera. I shot a fair bit of black & white film and my brother processed it for me. No matter how many pictures I took, I didn't seem to get any better because I didn't really understand exposure, apertures, depth of field or any of the things I confidently manipulate in my pictures today. Ultimately, I found it all unsatisfying and frustrating mostly because I wanted to get better at it but was failing. Still I loved the feel of the camera in my hands. I probably should have stuck with it, or taken lessons, or taken notes...

We migrated to a compact 35mm camera, then to a good digital compact and all that time I used a camera for obligatory family occasions and holiday snaps only. Then there was the purchase of the first DSLR...for the man of the house...but I didn't take that much interest. At least not until one day I picked up the Nikon D70s to take a picture of the boy at his tiller. Instantly my hands remembered what it was like to have a "real" camera in them.

I took a few pictures and the instant feedback was intoxicating.

There and then I wanted my own camera. A few months later and I was bought a Nikon D50. Smaller, lighter and not quite as highly spec'ed as the D70s but a lovely fit in my small hands.

Took a fair few pictures here and there...started to get to grips with the technical aspects of the craft. Then 2007 unfolded in unexpected ways and I took refuge behind my viewfinder.

Looking at my pictures posted on Flickr over time I reckon that my pictures have improved over the last 18 months or so.

I think it's mostly the volume of pictures, combined with the ease of finding out what settings a particular picture has been taken with that have enabled me to learn quicker what works and what doesn't (at least in my eyes)

I think, however, I may be ready to dip my toe back in the analogue pool.

There's never been any doubt that film is superior to digital in many (but not all) ways and I know loads of people that still shoot film: exclusively or in combination with digital.

A couple of recent conversations, however have made me curious.

One guy sat and took all sorts of ribbing at a recent Flickrmeet. It's his camera at the top of the the page. He sat and smiled all the while and quietly countered every argument we gave him for giving up film. Seeing some of his pictures I can see why. I don't always have an instant affinity with the subject matter or composition but the smoothness of the tones is clear to see.

In another exchange, my previous blog entry was countered with this. So, if I'm trying to improve my photography in general does that mean that trying film again isn't such a stupid sounding idea?

I got thinking.

I've been a musician for far longer than I've been a photographer and I started with acoustic instruments...got rid of them all...replaced them with digital instruments (keyboards, MIDI Wind controller, synthesiser boxes, software etc) because they were easier to get a good result with. What do I use now? Proper guitars, my lovely wooden cello, a beautiful maple recorder, a real Kemble piano and a hand-crafted mandolin. Where are the synthesisers? Up on the shelf. Where's the keyboard? Borrowed and un-missed.

The immediacy of digital instruments helped my music making in lots of ways but the acoustic versions are more satisfying to me at the moment.

Will I go back to digital instruments? Probably when I have a project that suits the digital versions better.

I think it comes down to realising that maybe analogue and digital technologies are different but complementary.

So - will I switch back to film?

Switch...? Probably not.

However, I have a friend with an unused Nikon film camera which will fit my some of my Nikon lenses perfectly. He'll not mind if I borrow it for a bit. His wife will be delighted to stop it cluttering up their house.

There doesn't seem to be any harm in maybe buying a couple of rolls of Ilford B&W film and asking some of my film-loving buddies for advice on getting it developed.

Could I have a film and a digi body coexist in my camera bag?

I think I'm coming round to the idea that maybe I could.

In the meantime, I made an impulse purchase of my favourite sort of lens - fast and prime. In this case it's wide and will suit a film camera just as well as a digital one.

I'm fighting against throwing myself headlong down yet another slippery slope...but I can feel myself edging towards a little exploration.

5 comments:

  1. The exploration needn't cost much. A really good Nikon like the F4 would cost what? Less than a day's wages, from ebay? If you find that film is for you then it's a bargain. If you don't, you can sell it back on ebay and get all your money returned!

    It's a cheap way of doubling your lens collection, too, since all your existing lenses are different on a 35mm camera.

    Or get a really cheap twin-lens reflex like a Yashica or Rolleiflex and try some square-format 6cm negative goodness for 30 quid or so.

    Are you going to turn the pantry into a darkroom? Or would you just develop the film and scan the negatives? Developing B&W negatives is really easy, pretty cheap, pretty fast, fun, and so much more exciting than digital. Exciting in that you can wonder if you screwed up the processing until you actually see the pictures.

    There's also another whole raft of madness you can sail downriver on when you develop your own!

    I actually don't miss my 35mm film camera one bit. The medium format and large format come out of the cupboard from time to time - they can do things that my digital cameras can't.

    Do it! Dooooo eeeeeet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duh...also meant to say...

    One of the advantages of film is that you can't shoot so much, so you have to think more. Medium format makes you go slower, and large format still more. Great photographers will take great pictures whatever the camera or medium...the camera doesn't matter a jot. The rest of us can definitely get help from the camera helping put our brain in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tumulus
    At the moment I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to self-develop film.
    You're right, there are cupboards and stuff in the house that could be pressed into service but I'm not sure it has any appeal for me (it would have once but...)
    Like you say a Nikon SLR would be easy to pick up and effective in reusing my existing lenses. That's why I'm going to start with Paul's Nikon F90x if he'll let me (I'm fairly sure he will).
    Once I've seen whether I like the B&W film finish significantly better than my D300 can give me then I'll think again.

    I think you're right about the speed of the process. Strangely enough, I slowed down a fair bit when I had the 105mm on the camera. I don't know why that was...maybe it was just a mindset thing.

    Watch this space :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're not going to process it yourself, Ilford XP2 film might be a good thing to try. Fast, sharp, fine grain, and it's processed in standard C-41 colour chemicals, so even your local 1-hour place can process it. The prints often come out toned slightly green or brown rather than pure B&W which can be annoying or artistic depending on your point of view :-).
    I think Kodak do a B&W C-41 film, too. Never used it so I can't say how it compares.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've looked at the services offered in a fairly new processing place in town. They process B&W and put high quality scans on CD.
    Not cheap, but possibly a practical way to dip my toe...

    ReplyDelete