Friday 23 January 2009

Drinks as a Gender Issue - Discuss











Never blogged before...don't know if I want to keep it up but I'm trying it on for size.

First post

Controversial subject.

Spent the better part of the day (in every sense) with a female friend. Drinking coffee, walking, taking photographs.

I'm not very girlie. I'm short, dumpy and shortish haired. I don't possess a pair of heels and have no patience for make up and little time for jewellery.

I am however, a middle-class, white, straight, woman.

My companion today has more attractive bone structure; the most lovely liquid eyes; makes far more effort with her appearance and is always better turned out than me.

I frequently look like I've been dragged through a hedge with my muddy jeans and all terrain trainers. Like Timothy Winters, my hair is an exclamation mark.

But it's my friend who was referred to as "Sir" the other day.

I get cross with the world on her behalf (she doesn't ask or need me to do it...but I do, nonetheless)


She's transexual. Reasonably openly so....and there's no doubt when you look at her she is SHE.

In various conversations with her today various aspects of gender identity came up.


I get cross when I'm patronised in a camera shop by people (men) who think that use of a reasonably good camera is only compatible with the possession of a set of X&Y chromosomes. Some of my friends understand and agree. Others think I over-react a bit (they may be right)

I sometimes have a lunchtime coffee with a male friend. Each time he orders a mocha, I order a strong black americano. Without fail, when the coffee arrives I am offered the mocha...he the black coffee.

Another male pal and I frequently go to the theatre together. He drinks Tonic (with or without gin, as occasion demands), I often drink a pint of (real) beer. Again there's always a swapping of drinks.

I really didn't realise to what extent even the food we eat and the drinks we choose in public are gender specific.

My TS friend is cautious how she behaves lest someone calls her sir.

I can stumble wind-blown into a pub with my muddy jeans and tatty tee-shirt; order a pint of Timothy Taylor Landlord and a burger and chips (don't really like burgers...or chips but you get the picture) and I will likely be called "Ma'am" (or just conceivably "Miss" if the landlord's feeling charitable). They might think "now there's an unattractive woman" but they'll not call me sir.

So today at least, I'm counting my blessings and trying my very hardest to remember that I have it easy the next time a camera shop assistant tells me that cleaning my camera sensor is "no harder than baking a cake".



6 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogosphere! Looking good so far. Nothing much to add to this post, of course... but a tale of Portsmouth. I met an engineer off one of the ferries when I was on my way to the pub, and invited him along as he was at a loose end. I took him to my local. We sat there, and I noticed that he was staring across the room.

    "Howway!" he said (he was a Geordie, of course, they say that sort of thing) "Aw've nivver seen anything like that in ma life!"

    It was a couple sitting there. He had a half, she had a pint....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dru...it's nice to be here!

    I think I need to test my drinking hypotheses further... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its just too distressing to see the way the population are going - ever more botox,surgery,hiding every little imperfection, killer wardrobe of dainty uncomfortableness....what is the objective? To all look the same? How totally boring and soulless.

    But then... if we all look the same...what will the new imperfections be?? Are we all ultimately destined to look like Michael Jackson?

    Sounds like your friend is just that.. a true friend...something these macho types dont have.

    I too am a white, middle class, straight woman but the days have long gone when I cram myself into heels and a nice skirt. Check me out in my Regatta and Fleece combo any day of the week...much to my daughters disgust. When out shopping with her I do feel a little out of place and warm in the shops: but on the route march back to the free parking space on the edge of town in a howling gale? Quite comfy thanks...yes..I am a mean parent!

    Unfortunately I do conform to the latte or mocha lady stereotype but can cram in a pint of cider with not too much persuasion! In Scotland a pint is the minimum quantity anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @mocha for me
    You stick to your Regatta and fleece combo...I'll do likewise.
    I'll also continue to envy my TS friend for her gorgeous cheekbones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funnily enough when Louise orders a coke and I a coffee, the waiter/waitress invariably tends to plonk the coke in front of me and the coffee next to Louise. Is there an element of assuming that, as a male, I'm more likely to imbibe on the sickly sweet stuff than my female counterpart?
    Not that I'm taking issue with anything you say; this is a fairly harmless supposition after all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @James
    Do you know I really don't know what drives the stereotypes. Some I can see (pints of beer vs halves of beer) because that's how things were.

    Coke vs Coffee is interesting...

    I think a study might be in order. I've a friend studying psychology, perhaps she could incorporate it into her course somewhere.

    ReplyDelete