Monday 26 January 2009

To the Far East

DSC_5647 iWitness1
Head Office is in Potters Bar. I rarely have to go there but I've been twice in seven working days.

I might have to do it a little more often over the next 18months or so.

It's not hard to get to:
Home to Temple Meads. Temple Meads to Paddington.
Circle Line or Hammersmith & City to Kings Cross. Kings Cross to Potters Bar Station.
Fifteen minute walk to the office.
A few hours in the office, catching up with colleagues I usually only email or chat to on the phone...a couple of meetings then the journey in reverse.

I arrive home, completely knackered about 12 hours after I left in the morning...and in all honesty, I probably only do about 3 - 4 hours work all day. Today's journey had to be done during peak time so cost the company £157 plus paying me for the day.

I know there are many technological solutions to replace actual face to face meetings...and we've tried most of them. Sometimes they're good enough. Sometimes they're all there is.

I'm not really a "people person"...I'm a big fan of email...but today we started to build a project team relationship that would have taken far longer had we not sat around a table.

I guess I need to remember that next time I'm trying to keep project costs down.

No comments:

Post a Comment