Sunday 8 February 2009

Without a Safety Net



Today I branched out a little.

I borrowed a film camera from a friend (Nikon F90x for anyone that cares), put a roll of black and white film in it and put it in my camera bag.


I'm a keen photographer and I like to think of myself as entirely non fundamentalist when it comes to media. Amongst my friends I can count exclusively digital, exclusively film and "a little of what you fancy" photographers. Until today, my "serious" photography has all been digital.

CJ says he likes B&W film because of the range of greys it can represent (in the digital world, we'd call that colour depth...and there is always a finite number of levels. In the analogue world that gradation is likely to be as near as dammit continuous and that's a good thing). It was following a conversation with CJ that got me thinking about my disregard for film.

DrP likes film because it's fun to play with. He switches between a high quality digital SLR, a film SLR, and a few less fancy cameras. He'll play with slide film and process it like print film just to see the weird colours happen (aka XPro). He encourages me in my experimentation.

DM raises a metaphorical eyebrow indicating he's not sure why I'm doing it since I've got a perfectly nice, high quality digital SLR. On my Flickrstream he indicates that he takes a dim view of playing with weird film processing stuff like XPro.

DrC shrugs non-commitally and indicates it's neither a good nor a bad thing but a matter of choice. Then pinches his dad's old film SLR and plots to run a couple of films through it just to see. He also tips up at the pub today with a handful of B&W film for me that he'd been given a while back.

TD hasn't expressed an opinion...well not yet, anyway. If he does, I predict it'll be "I can't be arsed with all that but, whatever". If he stumbles over an internet article that's relevant he'll likely send it because that's just the sort of thing he does.

MMcC positively encourages the experimentation and urges me to think about medium format if I really want to fall love with film.

These are all the people whose photographic opinions I trust most...but they don't concur. So what do I think?...ultimately, that's what really matters after all.

It scares the hell out of me. There's no way for me to check that I've got the exposure right immediately so I have to pay real attention to the settings and then work out, in my head, whether that's the exposure I expect. No more sloppy point, shoot and check the shot and then fiddle with settings.

Each shot I take will cost real money to get processed...so suddenly, there's a good reason not to approach this in my normal scattergun fashion.

Now today I took my D300 out with me and used the metering on there to double check what I was doing with the film camera. So I had a little safety net but I was still anxious every time I took a film picture.

So with all this stress, did I enjoy the experience?

Hell yeah. I slowed down. I used my technical knowledge to ratify my approach - not something I normally need to do all that much. I took about half the pictures I normally would, even though I was carrying two cameras and duplicating shots for testing purposes.

In the near future I'll take the film camera out on its own from time to time.

Time will tell whether the film enjoyed the experience...hopefully not too much time because I'm now excited to see the results.

Watch this space

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm... reading this makes me want to dig out the old Pentax.

    A word of warning; I have found that lot of film developers are using digital processing techniques when making prints. Steer well clear of Bonusprint for example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @James
    Well I nearly got my old Pentax back from my niece but the Nikon was closer (next door) and it has the benefit of working with several of my lenses.

    Thanks for the printing warning. I'm not planning to get prints made just yet but that'll be useful to know if/when I do.

    DrP is coming to stay for a couple of weeks and he's offered to bring his film scanner...so I'll be trying that first.

    Do let me know if you go out with your Pentax, though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the weather as it is I doubt I will (go out with my Pentax) for a while yet. I like your idea of using your digital camera as a sort of light metre though. I might try that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At some point in the future there's going to be more of a fashion for moving from silicon to film. I hope you'll be documenting everything so that, if you decide to stick with it, you'll be able to use all your notes to write your digital-to-analogue bestseller book.
    What's the smiley for "No smiley"?

    On the exposure subject...you can get away with a lot with B&W film (and I mean a *lot*) so long as you overexpose rather than underexpose. The shadows in negative film are like the highlights in digital...if there's no image there, there's *no* image there. If you overexpose, the highlights get denser and denser, but there's still texture. Plenty times I've had to develop "bulletproof" (i.e. so much silver they could stop a bullet) negatives from overexposure and it works out ok. You lose contrast, but they're printable. Correct exposure really just means you have the contrast you want. Underexpose and it gets ugly.

    You know the sunny-16 rule?
    Sunny day: f/16 and set the shutter to 1/ISO. E.g. 1/100s for ISO 100 film, 1/400 for ISO 400, etc.
    Hazy day: 1 stop slower.
    Cloudy day: 1 stop slower.
    Stormy day: 1 stop slower.

    Close enough for jazz.

    Also, Ernie has a contribution to the film fund!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had a look in the fridge to see if I had any old 35mm B&W film to send you. Sadly, no - but 7 boxes of 5x4 sheet film and 45 rolls of medium format...I really do need to pull out some old cameras!

    However if you ever get the inclination to experiment with something a bit different, in the freezer I found 2 rolls of Kodak HIE - their discontinued high-speed infrared B&W film. The expiry date on them is 08/2001, but like I say they've been in the freezer. I shot a couple of rolls of it waaay back and didn't care for the look, which is presumably why I still have these 2 rolls. (I prefered the look of Konika IR film, which is what the two B&W forest pictures of mine were shot on).

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Tumulus
    Sunny 16 you mentioned before (in connection with photographing the moon IIRC) and I ought to keep it in mind, it's a good rule :-)

    Good news on the ERNIE front...thank you.

    I may take you up on the IR film once I get my act together

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll second Tumulus and the Sunny 16 rule: Exposure compensation is what it's all about and I'm glad to say I pretty much get it right every time nowadays (took me a few years mind).
    Either that or you can 'spot metre' although it's not as relaible a method what with having to adjust the focus a lot of the time.

    ReplyDelete