Monday 23 March 2009

A change of mind


I'm not much travelled and I think I mentioned, in an earlier post that my recent trip to Denver was my first time in the US.

I'd never been particularly interested in going to the States, despite many of my friends having nothing but great things to say about it.

I had been given a choice as to whether I wanted to work on my current project at work - and I said "Yes" in full knowledge that at least one trip to Denver would be required.

To say the least, I was not looking forward to the trip. As it came closer I became more and more agitated and crabby with everything and everyone. I knew exactly what was going on, but I seemed powerless to do anything about my mood.

A friend asked what it was about the trip that was making me so agitated.

I still don't really know the answer to that question but I'm guessing it was mostly fear of the unknown.

Airport security, homeland security, a 10 hour flight, the prospect of jet lag, travelling with the English folk that I don't know very well, and who don't know me...oh, and the prospect of working closely with Americans.

My previous dealings with folk from the US have been mostly difficult affairs - involving insincerity, and a strange sort of patronising of people from "the old country".

Anyway...so I went with a heavy heart.

Airport security was a pain, and felt a little intrusive but was over quickly enough

The 10 hour flight was a lot less physically uncomfortable than some of the short flights I've taken.

Homeland security was strange to say the least. The officers are wholly unsmiling. I mistook a serious question for dry humour (bad move) but scored on the rebound by finally making the officer smile when he realised it was my first stateside trip.

The hotel we were put in was a nice, comfortable, corporate sort of place.

Walking around Denver on the only day we really had to ourselves was OK. The compromise required when travelling with others you don't know very well is tricky. They indulged my wanting to walk and look at architecture, I didn't hang around too long for fear of putting them out and I accompanied them to the Mall later in the day.
The city seemed nice enough but I'd need to go there again to see if it was really worth spending a lot of time in as a tourist.

The real revelation came when I went to work.

Without exception, the folk I worked with were engaging, funny, welcoming, keen to learn, delighted to teach and well up for the project we're attempting to pull off.

The smiles were genuine. They were not shallow, nor money obsessed. They didn't think that the US has all the answers, they were realistic about their place in the world.

In restaurants and the hotel the staff were, apparently, genuinely keen to make sure we had a pleasant experience...from the guy who poured coffee and juice at breakfast to the guy who drove the shuttle car around the DTC and beyond. All seemed proud and happy to do their jobs in serving us.

If the next stage of the work proceeds as planned then there's a fair chance that a return visit will be required.

I can't say I'll be gagging to sit on a Boeing 777 for 10 hours in cattle-class again but I'll reasonably happily go through the wretched security procedures and I'll look forward to meeting the Denverites again.

I'd even go as far as considering extending the trip for some time just to hang out and enjoy the place properly...and even fly on my own in order to do so.

I'd really rather go with someone else to share the experience...after all, it's less fun to see something interesting or funny and not have someone you love (in whatever sense) nearby to point it out to...but if a lone journey is required, then I'd do it. Also, I'd probably not send moping emails to a friend saying what a miserable time I was having...probably not, anyway.

So, there's something else new I've experienced...and something else about which I've had to revise my opinion.

This new stuff is all good, you know...





Well, not all good. By God the jetlag really sucks.



.

2 comments:

  1. I thought you might like it eventually...

    The two trips I've taken state-side were probably two of the best I've ever been on.

    The USA, for all its faults, is a fascinating place I think.

    Even Las Vegas has its charm.
    For about a day at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @James D Evans. Yep, I'd like to make a return visit to Denver and elsewhere. I think trick, like the rest of life is to be prepared to reappraise one's prejudices.

    ReplyDelete