Sunday 1 March 2009

Drinks vs Gender - Update



So, it turns out that I was right. A few of my male friends think I'm exagerating the whole "I get given the wrong drinks cos I'm a girl who drinks boys' drinks" thing.

They don't tell me as much but two further incidents with the doubters in tow caused a simultaneous "I told you so" and giggle.

DrC meets me for a swift evening drink. I umm and ahm quite loudly in the hearing of the new landlord of my local as to what beer I might drink.

After I decide, DrC declares it's his turn to buy and so orders a pint of Golden Hare and a pint of Coke.


Landlord looks me straight in the eye and says "would you like ice in that?"

"In my beer? No thanks..."

DrC catches my eye and we share a moment.

A couple of days later five of us go out for a meal in a local Nepalese Restaurant. When the drinks order is taken "Five beers and one pint of coke, please".

The drinks arrive and the coke is put down in front of me - DrC is sitting opposite.

BW roars with laughter. He admits he thought I was making a fuss about nothing but now he sees it in action, he is contrite.

The considerably more charitable SI says that people's response is not unreasonable. He's an actuary and his work is all about the odds.

He gives sage counsel "in most people's experience, the woman is the designated driver, if nothing else. Also - given a random man and a random woman, the woman is more likely to drink G&T than real ale. It's this knowledge that the various serving staff are relying on".

Does it make me feel better?

Since I first blogged about it, I feel wholly less exercised by the subject. Now I'm just mildly amused.


.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete