Sunday 1 March 2009

Humbling Stuff

I occasionally do some volunteering of photographic services for a local organization - the Pierian Centre , some friends join in sometimes, too.

I don't always have a total affinity with the events and activities that take place - some are a little on the new-agey side for my interests and taste, but I'll defend unto death people's right to follow that lifestyle if they choose.



This week, I got a bit of a last minute request to cover an event to celebrate a local man being awarded an OBE. I'd never heard of the gentleman in question - pictured here.

His name is Paul Stephenson.

He campaigned in the 60's for the Bristol Bus Company to lift its colour-bar on black and asian drivers. He was at the centre of a boycotting of Bristol buses and this boycott got worldwide recognition.

He also indulged in a little civil disobedience, getting himself arrested when he refused to leave a pub in the city centre who had refused to serve him on the grounds of his colour. This was considered to be a perfectly reasonable and legal act.

Also in the picture is Princess Campbell. She was the first black nursing sister in Bristol.

The stories that were being told were of not only overt discrimination, but discrimination so intrenched that it was seen as perfectly acceptable behaviour by the majority white community until a "fuss" was made.

That commonplace acceptance of actions that I find abhorrent happened in my lifetime.
Literally in my lifetime.
I was born in the same year this landmark action was taken.

The rooms I was taking photos in had a distinct majority of black faces and, as a white woman milling around with a camera I was wholly welcomed and accepted by those people who had been so badly treated by people around the same age as my parents.

I'm not a big fan of close quarters with lots of people. I'm not a fan of meeting new folk. I'm not great at candid portraiture so it was all very hard work but, by God, what a magnificent, uplifting but thoroughly humbling evening.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment